Friday, July 20, 2012

Interdisciplinary Teaching and Learning: French

The options for interdisciplinary teaching in my subject of the French language are endless. The francophone culture is so embedded in the language, and culture itself encompasses so many elements (art, history, politics, theater, and so on).

One topic I commonly teach is the history and culture surrounding impressionist art and artists. For an assessment, I usually ask students to research a French impressionist artist, and write a report (1-2 pages, typed) on that artist's life and artistic style in the target language. This is usually a French 3 and 4 assessment, as students need to know several structures and art terms to speak about the artist's life in the past. Additionally, students are to choose one of the artist's oeuvres, and interpret it in their own way, using whatever medium they desire. Some of the artwork that turns out is exceptional. Below, find a photo of my students' impressionist imitations at Back to School Night (2011):


One source I can use to enrich my interdisciplinary teaching of art terms, mediums, styles, and history for this topic is the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. There are teacher workshops available to inform teachers of ways to increase use of art in their subject matter, as well as tips or accompanying lesson plans if a teacher wanted to take a group of students to SF MOMA. A second source I can explore to enrich my pedagogical knowledge in art is the National Gallery of Art website, and possibly attend its Teacher Institute in the future. The NGA Teacher Institute is a conference, and this year's sessions are centered around French Impressionism and Post-Impressionism, where teacher's will be able to learn ways to incorporate these art themes and history into their courses. Please find the links below:

http://www.sfmoma.org/explore/educators

http://www.nga.gov/education/teacinst.shtm


Of course, there are many benefits to using interdisciplinary teaching, such as helping students in making cross-curricular connections, and engaging students who may be strong in one subject, but struggling in another. One challenge I can see to interdisciplinary teaching is the time it may take away from the content standards related to one's subject matter. Ideally, a teacher should be able to find a happy balance, being able to teach the necessary standards, while dabbling in other subject areas. I hope to use art and other interdisciplinary teaching in my pedagogical French in the near future.

SEE MY COMMENTS FOR COLLEAGUES:

Yadira Zapata - unahistoriadeunamaestra.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Alana,

    You have really found some great resources to enrich and supplement your unit on impressionism. The unit sounds amazing, and I love that the students have to interpret a piece as they wish. I can see how creative students can get with it!
    I also recently went to the SFMOMA and discovered all the great resources they have available for teachers! I am excited to try and incorporate them next year as well!

    I agree with your assessment of interdisciplinary teaching. There are so many benefits, but we always come back to the issue of time and balance. If only there were more hours in a day!

    ReplyDelete